Benefits and grants

Financial help for you and your family


Have a discussion with a benefits expert to make sure you’re getting all of the help to which you’re entitled. These advisers may be able to find grants that help you manage a financial emergency.

Checking that you’re receiving all eligible benefits

The benefits system is complicated and often hard to navigate. That might be why some people aren’t getting everything they should be.

Make the Call is a government service that checks if you’re getting the right benefits. Their advisers can work out if you’d be better off applying for different benefits and can link you in with other services designed to support you with certain issues.

Advice NI and local advice agencies across Northern Ireland can also check if your benefits are correct.

Grants for financial emergencies

Finance Support is a government service that manages different grants and loans for people on low incomes. They can give you:

  • A grant to cover certain types of financial emergencies
  • An interest-free loan to help with other financial pressures
  • A living expenses grant if you’re waiting for your first payment of Universal Credit

If you’ve been turned down by Finance Support, a charity like the Glasspool Trust may be able to help with grants for essential white goods. Speak to your local advice agency, who can apply on your behalf.

Funds and benevolent societies

Some organisations provide grants to people who fit a particular profile or have a particular need. These can be charities, benevolent societies or funds tied to certain professions or unions.

 More resources